Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Over the Hump #6

So Over the Hump race series is in its mid season break. Today's race was on my new-to-me Orbea Alma 29er. In truth, I've had this bike for about two weeks, but I didn't make any mention of it. I wasn't sure if the 29er thing is for me, but I am pretty convinced. I am fat (and riding), so I do feel the pain on some of the climbs in granny gear, but it's not as different as I thought. Solution: Get stronger.

Onto the race report...
Unlike last week, I started in the first two rows. Man, the pace is ridiculously fast up front. It was disheartening to see so many B1s and B2s pass me up, but I felt pretty strong up the climbs. The downhill to right turn still makes me pause. Fear of falling again, not looking through the turn, or just plain obstinacy. I finished 14th of 25 with a time of 50:39. Goal for the second half of the series is to finally break the top 50% and stay there. Maybe break top 30% once to get a friggin pint glass.

Final thoughts: I really need to control my warm up. I tend to have just two modes - stationary, and pushing hard. My trusty Garmin 305 logged a heart rate of 170+ during my warm up lap, so I made an effort to keep it under 140 this week. I felt better today, but my time wouldn't show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment