Thursday, September 23, 2010

Counting Coup 2011

It's been 3 weeks since the end of Over the Hump. I continue to ride 4-5 times a week, but not with nearly the same intensity as OTH. That said, I've gained a few lbs. Still under 250lbs, but I fear I am getting complacent. That is why I will commit myself to racing Counting Coup 2011! I'm not sure I can get a spot, but I'll sign up as soon as registration opens on Oct 1.

For those who don't know, Counting Coup is a race put on by the Warrior Society. It is arguably the easiest of their three races, but still requires 40+ miles and 8,000+ft of climbing. The first checkpoint is 4 hours into the race at the bottom of Silverado and Maple springs. That's 18 miles and approximately 4500ft of climbing (thanks to Weyland for the stats!). As a test run, I tried to make the first checkpoint last Saturday. I made it halfway to the first checkpoint in 2h and 20 minutes before failing and turning around (9 miles and 2100ft climbing). By my estimation, I was 20 minutes behind the minimum pace, and I gotta keep it up for another 30 miles! I'll continue to pound through Blackstar until I can get my half-to-first-checkpoint time in the 1h 45m range. Sounds "unpossible" at the moment, but with 7 months left, I'm hoping to drop 5lbs and shave 5 minutes per month.

No comments:

Post a Comment