Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hope Pro II Freehub Failure

I've been loving my Hope Pro II wheelset. Laced to Mavic EN521s with double butted spokes, my wheelset has seen probably a thousand miles. On my second time servicing my freehub, I noticed a crack running alongside the splines.



The crack had gone through the spring cavity as well and shown on the inner face of the freehub.


Though disappointed, I somewhat expected such from an aluminum freehub that gouges from cassettes with individual cogs.

I emailed Hope on Thursday, received a response on Friday, and received a new steel freehub on Monday. Big thanks to Hope for keeping me rolling. The freehub was just on time for the Over the Hump race #4.


The only gripe is about the weight. The steel freehub comes in around 168 grams, about 90 grams heavier than its aluminum counterpart (79g). That puts my wheelset at around 2150g without skewers. Hardly race worthy, but the Hope Pro II/Mavic EN521 is my trail/AM, everyday workhorse wheelset.

No comments:

Post a Comment