Sunday, June 13, 2010

More Introductions

Introductions: To cycling

At the creation of this blog (and this entry), I have been riding for about a year and a half. Though I biked throughout my childhood, I never really got into mountain or road biking. I just went through a series of mountain/hybrid bikes that were used to get me from point A to point B. I never did any tricks, jumped any curbs, or rode without hands (I still can't!). Growing up in suburban Los Angeles, just about all my bikes had been stolen. When my college bike got stolen from my dorm building, I gave up on the idea of ever riding. Then 7 years later, I got back into it in a real and serious way (more on that in a later post).

Introductions: My rides

2008 Cannondale F7 Disc - Bought around Aug 2008 after a 7 year haitus from biking. Sold in 2009 to my friend Mark, who now rocks it at the local races.

2008 Santa Cruz Superlight - Bought the bike used, but soon found it to be too flexy, too big, and entirely inappropriate for my 260lbs body. There was also an annoying click that worried me too much, so I sold it in 2009.

2007 Felt F1x - Bought the bike used in Jan 2009, about a size or two too small (49cm, cx sized). This cyclocross was my "road" bike, since I had an irrational fear of destroying actual road bike frames. I ended up selling this one to my friend Mark as well.

2009 Yeti 575 Carbon - So with several iterations of new/used bikes, I had enough experience to figure out what I wanted. I bought the frame and fork from Adrenaline Bikes in Nov 2009 and put it together in the coming months. I built it up with a 2010 Fox Talas 150mm 15QR fork and a Hope Pro II wheelset laced to Mavic EN521 rims. SLX/XT components, ergon grips/bar ends, thomson/hope/easton controls.

2009 GT Zaskar Pro Carbon - This was an impulse buy at a great price from a local racer. Can't say much about the bike except that it's much faster than I am. I use this on less technical trails, and for XC racing.

2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert - To complement my mountain biking, I decide a proper road bike was in order. With a healthy Velosport discount, I ponied up for the Roubaix with Ultegra 6700 groupo. I really had a hard time with the carbon-breaking-under-my-weight aspect of it, but Specialized's no weight limit and warranty replacement program reeled me in.

Rides for my Girlfriend
2008 GTw Avalanche 2.0 - Bought in Feb 2009, sold in May 2010. I initially bought the bike to upgrade my girlfriend's 40lbs Walmart bike. While it was a big step up, it still weighed in at around 28lbs for a hardtail. After a year and change of riding, and various upgrades, I decided to splurge and properly equip my girlfriend...

2008 Turner Flux - Bought used from mtbr with a Fox F100 RL fork and chris king headset, this bike gives 4" of tunable, usable travel to my very svelt 95lbs girlfriend. Full XT drivetrain and brakes, DT Swiss 240 wheelset, Easton EC90 carbon bars, ergon GP1 grips, and the Thomson treatment. 24.75lbs of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment